3 August 2015

Tioman Island

After midterms were finished, another short but extended break was upon us. And in usual fashion, I made the decision to get as far away from Korat as I could. For this trip, I decided to go exploring once again with my new favourite person, Ezzy. This time though, we decided to venture to Tioman Island, an island located 32km off the South East coast of the Malaysian peninsular, around a 5 hour journey from Singapore and an island which has been voted one of the most beautiful islands in the world by TIME magazine and The Guardian. Our hotel was called Paya Beach and we stayed in a really cute chalet about 15 seconds from the beach.

Our home for the next 2 nights, Paya Beach Resort & Spa
We booked ourselves on a 3 day 2 night package trip which included our room, all our meals, bus and boat transfers and a 3 hour snorkelling session.  Not to mention this came to just over £100pp - bargain! As the tour left Singapore, I decided to head down there as soon as I could after work finished. However, due to the flight being rescheduled, I had to leave school early so I could catch the flight in time which in turn meant that I arrived into Singapore much earlier than expected. But, being the awesome guy he is, Ezzy decided to meet me at the airport and stay up with me until we caught the bus. After getting the bus at around 6:30 in the morning, we finally arrived at Tioman around 1ish. 

Lounging in the sun.
Although not as paradise-esque as Perhentian (the islands I visited last year), the beach resort was still beautiful, peaceful, and just what I wanted from this four day break. We spent the first day (like practically every other day on the trip) relaxing (and mostly indoors watching movies and drinking Malibu). Despite service being somewhat sloth-like (we have to wait nearly 5 HOURS just to get towels...), the food was great, the room was clean and so close to the beach. The only full day we had on our trip was scheduled with snorkelling in the morning. We  visited two locations on our trip (although the second stop has a lot to be desired). That being said, the first stop (Renggis Island I believe?) was great and swarming with tropical fish. My waterproof case didn't quite live up to expectations so not so many pictures we taken unfortunately. That night was spent sitting on a beach swing covering ourselves from the storm and drinking ice cold Coronas, contemplating that the trip, however short, was going far too quick.

Snorkelling trip!
However, regardless of the things that could have got better, I was really happy that I came to Tioman and even more chuffed that Ezzy was able to come with me and that we could spend some time together. 
After we caught the ferry back from Tioman to the mainland, excitement set in that I was to going back to Singapore. I met this couple from the UK on the way back and the guy was working for a business consultancy out in Singapore. He was also 24 and all I could think about was how lucky he was. Granted, he got into that position due to someone he knew etc. but it really made me think that I've gotta get myself into gear and figure out what's next for me. I want to work out in Singapore SO BAD but I just don't know how to go about it. One thing I unfortunately don't really have on my side are contacts. I don't come from a well-to-do family, or a family that work in this profession where I could potentially get contacts from so sometimes I just feel frustrated that its an uphill climb to get where I want to go.
Anyways, enough of tangential conversations. On the way back to Singapore, I was held up at Immigration (the whole bus was waiting for me) due to the fact that I didn't look like the picture in my passport picture. Okay, I know it was taken eight years ago and I HAVE changed but I didn't think it was THAT much. I was stopped for a good 15/20 minutes, being asked where I was born, where I was going and even what airline I was flying on...at that point I was just getting frustrated that I wasn't back in Singapore and that I couldn't enjoy the little time that was left in my favourite city. But alas, we made it back around 9 at night, freshened up, grabbed some Mexican food and headed out to the bars to catch up with a few of Ezzy's mates (but SOBER this time around...after last time's shenanigans, I swore never to get myself in that state again!); I love going out with those guys because although I don't live there, they make me feel like I'm part of their 'crew' and I'm made to feel very welcome. 
Another late night was over, and running on 5 hours sleep, I made sure to utilise my last day with Ezzy as much as possible. We hung out around the city, grabbed some Indian food, and I splurged on H&M as usual. The thing I hated most of course was saying goodbye to Ezzy and Singapore. But, I'm so thankful I was able to spend 4 days with such an amazing guy and have such a laugh with him.

Ezzuan (and Singapore), see you in November.

Thanks for the good times, Ezz!

No comments:

Post a Comment