14 December 2015

Bangkok for Drinks and Bike For Dad

After working for 12 days straight, it was finally time for a little weekend break. With the King's Birthday falling on Saturday December 5th, we were lucky enough to be given a 3 day weekend to make the most of. Whilst my friends either chose to stay in Korat or head to the beaches of Koh Chang, I decided to venture to Bangkok with Marisa and Georgia for a weekend of shopping, drinks, and good food. To utilise my weekend to the max, I headed down Friday night after school. Expectations of arriving in Bangkok at a decent hour were pretty low due to my 6 hour bus ride to the capital this time last year; and I was right to have those doubts. I didn't reach Bangkok until 11pm and didn't get to my friend until almost midnight. We decided to still head out for a few drinks (with my holdall and backpack still with me...) before calling it a night.

Getting our long weekend off to a great start!
My girlfriends didn't arrive in Bangkok until late afternoon the next day so I decided to meet up with some other farang friends, Phoebe and Elena. We grabbed some early dinner together before getting the party started at Charley Brown's -- a really cool Mexican restaurant/bar on Sukhumvit Soi 11. Considering my usual hang out spot in Bangkok is Silom, it came as a nice change to explore a different part of Bangkok's nightlife that wasn't a trashy as Khaosan...(no offense...). After many a passionfruit margarita, Georgia, Marisa and I made our way to a really cool Australian bar for the rest of the night. When we first arrived, no one was on the dance floor so being in the merry states that we were, we felt obliged to get it going (which was appreciated by the band haha). Like I had said, this was the first time going on in this area and I thoroughly enjoyed it (well, what I can remember of it anyways) and this bar had a really cool live band that played pop hit after pop hit all night.

Marisa, Myself, Georgia, Elena and Phoebe at Charley Brown's
The next day, I was very excited to venture to IKEA and Cotton On at Mega BangNa. Now for those of you that don't know what Cotton On is, think of it like an Australian Primark, yet the stuff is even cuter! Whereas Marisa and I were veterans of the wonders of this store, Georgia had never been before ; I don't think she quite knew what she let herself in for. This store in Bangkok was by far the biggest Cotton On store I had visited and all three of us were lost in there for well over an hour. Collectively, we must have spent close to B7000 on items so it was well worth the visit. Later that evening, we went to the EM district to check one of Bangkok's most up and coming night markets; ArtBox. I had visited twice before when they were based at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre, so I was excited to see what new things they had to accompany their move. This night market felt like hipster central; there were lots of little stands to satisfy any foodie, experimental drinks to satisfy any party-goer, and tons of art and fashion stalls to satisfy every Bangkok hipster there was.
Before we knew it, the three day break had come to an end (ironic how the longer breaks seem to go quicker than our regular weekends off...) and back to Korat we went to begin my last week of teaching. Well, I would say 'last week of teaching', but with already having Monday off thanks to the long weekend, as well as having the upcoming Thursday off too (due to Constitution Day) AND a half day on Friday due to Bike for Dad (more about that in a bit), it only turned into two days of teaching or as I made it, two days of making Christmas cards with my classes (it was definitely one way of keeping them occupied and quiet!)

ArtBox Night Market at Phrom Phong BTS
On Friday, we were initially told we would have the entire day off due to the Bike for Dad event, but it ended up us leaving at 2pm. Those who had registered for the event, which is a huge cycling event in honour of the King (who had just celebrated his 88th birthday the Saturday before) were able to attend. Just like for Bike for Mom, the event saw thousands of participates ride around a 29km route of Korat in honour of the royals. For the Bike for Dad event, the turn out was even bigger than Bike for Mom, plus there were events held not just in Thailand, but across practically every major city in the world. Archna, Shubhu, Grace and myself went over with Shubhu and I cycling together and Grace and Archna further behind us. I felt the route wasn't as long as Bike for Mom, considering the finish was about 2km shy of where Bike for Mom finished however the atmosphere was just as electric. With Korat being so flat, it makes the route super easy to ride and Shubhu and I were done in just over 90 minutes. I had hoped the event began slightly earlier as by the time we were done, it had gone dark which, seeing some of the cyclists participating, would cause hazard to the roads! But, it was a great event and nice way to end what felt like an incredibly short week.

Bike for Dad 2015
Next week are Midterms followed by the Christmas fair and parties. Unfortunately I have to teach next Monday and Tuesday and I have NO clue what I'm going to do as I've covered everything...maybe more Christmas cards? haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment