8 October 2014

Two Week Warning

Today marks the two week countdown until I arrive in Thailand. As exciting as all this is, I can’t help but feel so unprepared! I’ve yet to book any flights or have any visa. Stupid right?! But, as usual, I’ve been having issues with obtaining my police check; the one I originally had has been ‘lost’ by my previous employer which means I’ve had to fork out nearly £150 to get a new one sent out to me ASAP. Without that, I can’t book any appointment to the Thai Consulate in Cardiff and therefore cannot obtain a visa…F***K.

Flights are looking pretty cheap at around the £450/£460 mark at the moment which is great! I may honestly just go ahead a book a flight in the next couple of days just for peace of mind…even if I have been advised against it. Thankfully I have been able to connect to some people already out at Assumption or just some expats living in Nakhon Ratchasima. They have all been extremely cool and have answered any questions I may have. For one, I don’t need to completely shave my beard as I was originally told (thank god!) so now I won’t look like a 12 year old teaching 12 year olds! Secondly, an expat group on Facebook has proven extremely helpful when asking about transportation and amenities in the city…Korat is shaping up to be a pretty nice place to live! Not to mention, the holidays/term dates seem to be matching up by whats on the website so I’ve gone ahead and booked a flight down to Malaysia (I know what you’re thinking…you need to get out there first!) for the weekend of December 5-7; I get the Friday off for national holiday so going to make the most of it to catch up with some good friends.

Anyways, I know everything will figure itself out but I still can’t help but feel stressed that things are out of my control…one thing I better snap out of if I’m going to fit in well in Thailand.

Will post more once everything is confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment